Tuesday, May 31, 2005

But really think about it...

I heard a great message tonight at the Annex. It was about:

1. Loving God more than anyone else
2. Forsaking all that you have
3. Being willing to die for the cause

It hit me hard because I find myself going through life pretty selfishly. Do I really love God more than my friends and family? Luke 14:26 says, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." I mean, wow! What does this mean - you have to hate your friends and family to be a disciple of Jesus? At church they put it like this: "Your love for others must be like HATE compared to your love for God!" It sounds like a crazy requirement, but God knows that our affections here will get us in trouble. Man, I want to be that passionate in my love for God! I want HIM to be my obsession, not people or things.

"Whoever does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple." Luke 14:33 Oh, sure I've given him what I have. But Phil. 3:7-9 says, "I once thought all these things were so very important, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the priceless gain of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have discarded everything else, counting it all as GARBAGE, so that I may have Christ and become one with him." Wow, you mean I have to count all I have as GARBAGE?? I guess nothing I own lasts forever anyways. Compared to knowing Jesus, does it really matter if I get a new car or a new job or excell in anything for that matter? Because if I don't know Him, nothing in life really is worth anything. It's something to think hard about...

And the last part about dying for the cause is a hard one. What if you DO die standing up for what you believe in? What if God calls you to go to a foreign country (where it's pretty dangerous) to tell the people about him? Are you not going to go just because you're scared for your life? What if God doesn't pull you out of the deep struggle you are in? What if you have cancer and He doesn't heal you? Will you give up on Him? Will you say, "Forget this Christianity stuff!" Who are you living for anyway - yourself or your God?

For those of you who are wondering what all this means, just know that life is either black or white. You are either for God or against him, you cannot straddle the fence. God wants all of you. Not the part of you that is comfortable with it. I don't mean to say it's all hard. Coming to know God is the most satisfying thing you could ever do. God wants you to chose Him. He loves you and wants to give you this amazing life. But you have to be willing to go through the yucky stuff for Him too. In the end you'll be so glad you did. (I'm talking to me here too!!)

Okay, I'll stop now. But really think about it...

|

<< Home